Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Housewife Workout!

No, not the Desperate Housewives or the Real Housewives! I'm talking about the real, real housewives. Those of us with husbands, kids, jobs, pets, and much more. The busy kind. I actually don't have any kids but you get the picture ;).

Have you ever found yourself trying to decide whether to workout or clean the house? If you chose to clean the house you will feel accomplished but you will feel guilty for not getting in a workout. If you chose to workout you will feel great but feel guilty for leaving the house a mess.

Today I came up with a workout that solves this problem. It is simple yet very effective. It's called the Housewife Workout. The idea is to kill two birds with one stone. Clean the house and workout at the same time.

Here are the rules:

  1. Every time you walk, you have to lunge. Essentially you are doing walking lunges but not just in a straight line like at the gym. Instead, you have to do them everywhere you go. 
  2. Every time you leave or enter a room, you have to do 5 squats. You can change the number to more or less based on the difficulty level you are trying to achieve. 
  3. Remember to always keep correct form!
      1. When lunging, the leg that is bent should be at a 90 degree angle and your knee should never touch the ground. 
      2. When squatting, your feet should be shoulder length apart. Squat just like you are sitting in a chair. Your knees should just cover your feet when you are looking down in full squat position. 
Hints: 
  • You will find that you don't want to make multiple trips to each room of your house because of the squats you know will come with it! Because of this try to scope out the area you are picking up and grab everything that needs to go in the room you are walking lunging to next. This is where arms come into play because you will be carrying many things at once. 
  • When you squat, do not set anything down. This will increase the difficulty just as if you were squatting with weights. 
  • Leave your water in the kitchen. That way you will have to workout more to go get a drink of water!
Overall, have fun! I just did this workout for about an hour and I am drenched in sweat! I have no idea how many squats and lunges I did but I know it had to have been well over 100 each. I feel great and my house is clean! Love it! 

I hope you all like this workout. Let me know what you think! 

xoxo Jessenia 

P.S. Don't forget to stretch .. I almost did .. tisk tisk 

No comments:

Post a Comment