Tuesday, September 18, 2012

2 Weeks

Well here we are at two weeks! I'm probably going to say this every week but I can't believe it's been 2 weeks already. I also can't believe how much my boy has grown in the past week. He already looks and feels so much bigger to me! As you can tell from the pictures below his belly sure is filling out! :)





This week has been full of new adventures. Connor seems to be much more awake during the day and I have been trying to talk, read, and sing to him when I can. He's a poop and pee machine and I know all newborns are but seriously he goes a lot! I started using my cloth wipes this week but I am still using disposable diapers because I don't think I could keep up with how much he goes with cloth diapers. 

I really like the cloth wipes so much better than disposable wipes. I make my own disposable ones from paper towels and wipe solution. We use the disposable ones at night because when you're half asleep you don't want to fuss with rinsing and such. I like the cloth ones better because they clean better and they are so soft on baby's bottom. They are much easier to use than I anticipated and require relatively little maintenance. 

I have them in a normal wipes box for easy access and I have a spray bottle of solution on the changing table. All I do is grab a wipe and spray it a few times then take off the diaper and wipe up as much of the poo with the old diaper as possible then wipe the rest with the cloth wipe. Once I'm finished I rinse it in the toilet, ring it out, and toss it in the dirty wipes pail and sprinkle on some baking soda. 

People use either dry or wet pails for cloth wipes/ diapers. I've been using the dry one and I like it so far. I've been washing them every other day. When I used to think about cloth wipes I would think of them covered in poo but really they don't get much on them unless it's a huge blow out. ;) 

I'm getting a little nervous to start using cloth diapers in a few weeks but I'll let you know how it goes! 


Breastfeeding is still going well and Connor is continuing to gain weight. He wants to eat all the time! What a boy! We went to the pediatrician this morning and he weighed in at 7lbs 15 oz. At first we were confused why he only gained 2 oz but then the Dr. figured out that they weighed him with his diaper on at the one week appt which means he was probably only about 7lbs 8oz last week and he gained about 7 oz this week.

I'm still using a nipple shield for breastfeeding which is super annoying. They can be really helpful if you really need one but the consultant at the hospital started me on one for no reason and I really wish I would have known more about them because I definitely would have told her I didn't want to use it.

Basically they are used when the baby has problems latching and they are usually only used when every other option was explored. Not the case for me. She started me on it without really trying to get him to latch normally. They make such a huge stink about your baby gaining weight at the hospital like they are going to waste away if they don't learn how to latch asap! As you can tell I'm not too pleased about the situation because now I have to teach him how to latch without it and its such a pain. He hates it! But it's also a pain to use it and I would much rather go natural and not have to use the stupid thing! In the end though at least he is eating and that's really all that matters but I still really want to be able to wean him of the shield. I guess I have my work cut our for me.


Here's a few pictures from Week Two:

                                    Baby feet :)                                    Hubby caught us sleeping

                     Hubby sunning our little man                                     Bath time!

I promise I will write the second half of the birth story tomorrow (I think) haha! Until next time!

xoxo Jessenia

2 comments:

  1. those sandals are adorable!!! :) he's gonna be tall...those long toes ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh you sound like your doing everything I want to 'someday' when I have a baby, can't wait to hear how the cloth diapering goes!

    ReplyDelete